Monday, February 1, 2010

I, Driftwood

Driftwood, Driftwood, where have you been?
I've circled the world, and I've started again.
Driftwood, Driftwood, where will you go?
I drift with the tide. Please don't ask. I don't know.

"Something's in the water dad.
Out there beyond the bar"!
"You might as well forget it lad.
Tis passing by too far.
It's just a piece of drifting wood
That's washed away from shore.
It soon will sink, and that for good,
To never rise no more".

While floating in a moonless sea
With darkness for my sight,
So suddenly, it came to be,
I saw a distant light!
A growing flicker on a beach.
There's laughter, then a shout.
The waves once kept me out of reach,
But now, they'd turned about.

I'd been adrift for many days,
But that was in the past.
The shilhouettes around the blaze
Would be my hope at last!
I finally washed upon the sand
And caught two watchful eyes.
And even in the stranger's hand
My heart began to rise.

To have a space all for myself,
Was all I could desire.
To just be placed upon a shelf,
...Not cast into the fire!


Dawn creeps from the East.
The drifting has ceased.
And no one remembers
The smouldering embers.

No comments:

Post a Comment