Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Fence

I walked the pathway with a girl
And held her tender hand,
As little hearts began to swirl.
(I think you understand).
How could we know that one day soon
A fence would block our way?
We each would hear a different tune;
A different song would play.

So as we walked around a bend
The fence came into view.
And soon I knew this path would end.
...I guess she knew it too.
We stopped beside that boundary line.
Our thoughts, we didn't hide.
She told me hers. I told her mine.
We laughed, ...and then we cried.

Then came the time to say farewell.
I had to cross that fence.
And still, I hope she's doing well.
I've not heard from her since.

Some days while travelling on my own,
Sometimes with chin on shoulder,
I see her at that fence alone,
Still young, as I grow older.

No comments:

Post a Comment