Friday, January 15, 2010

The Call

My spirit lay rotting in a bodily grave,
Or was it a battlefield trench?
Without life left for another to save,
The corpse was so full of Death's stench.

The judgement of God that I had to face
Was, because of my sin, an assault.
To remain in remains was such a disgrace,
But that was my choice by default.

Like Lazarus was bound in the clothes of the tomb,
My spirit was bound up in sin.
My thoughts were on evil from the time of the womb,
Just like other natural men.

Forever in torment was my destiny.
I'd pay for the word and the deed.
The crimes I'd committed held great penalty.
I would suffer with all Adam's seed.

Then, while in the flesh, while spiritually dead,
Unable to please God at all,
Against my desires, and still as I fled,
To me the good shepherd did call.

With new ears to hear, with new eyes to see,
The Kingdom then came into view.
New birth and a pardon were given to me,
And all that was old became new.

Long since I have pondered, and studied, and prayed.
I've questioned those years of refusing.
I'm brought to the truth, and no longer dismayed
That God, and not I, did the choosing.

1 comment: