Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Picture of You

A picture of you I have hung on my wall.
It's where I can see it, in front of it all.
I wish you were here, then you'd see it too,
Cause lately I've really been thinking of you.

I keep all your letters in a box by my bed.
One's under my pillow, real close to my head.
That one is real special. You poured out your heart.
The first time I read it, it tore me apart.

We used to go wading in a creek in the hollow.
Wherever you went, I would always follow.
We built us a snowman and gave him a name.
We loved life so much we made it a game.

We went to the dance every Saturday night.
We kissed and we hugged in the full moonlight.
The letters you wrote meant so much to me,
I carved our initials on an old Beech tree.

Then along came another and stole you away.
You wrote that last letter on a cold winter's day.
I sought you and found you down by that same creek,
His warm arms around you, your lips on his cheek.

I buried your bodies 'neath that big old Beech tree.
The same one, at sunrise, where they're hanging me.
And I know when I'm swinging the last thing I'll see;
Our two hearts connected, carved in that tree.

Soon a picture of you will lay in the dark
In a box with some letters and a piece of old bark.

No comments:

Post a Comment